Saturday, June 9, 2012

Introduction



In December of 2009, I finished my Master's degree in English with a focus on Language and Linguistics at the University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee.  For my final thesis project, I designed a high school level Linguistics course, with the hope of eventually teaching it at Milwaukee School of Languages (where I have taught since 2003).  The course was officially approved by Milwaukee Public Schools in the spring of 2010, and in the spring of 2011, Milwaukee School of Languages became the first high school in the United States to offer an elective course in Linguistics. There were 24 students in the original class, mostly juniors and seniors, with two sophomores. 

I will be teaching Linguistics again this fall at MSL, and I plan to share experiences and materials on this blog for others who are interested in teaching a course on Linguistics at their school as well.

https://segue.middlebury.edu/sites/intd0112a-s07

2 comments:

  1. You mentioned that you teaching using An Introduction to Language. This was the book that I too submitted as my Basic Text--I feel like it's a step in the right direction.
    As you design your course, did you follow the scope and sequence of the book going from morphology to phonetics/phonemics to syntax and eventually get into language in use? Or did you select topics based on student interest?
    Sorry for all of the questions, but I know of no other linguistics teacher at the high school level :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to help, Andrew. My units are: an introduction to linguistics, phonetics, morphology, language acquisition, sociolinguistics, and the history of English. If you send me an email at loosensa@yahoo.com, I will be happy to send you some resources! I am excited you are working to put together a class.

      Delete