Monday, February 25, 2013

Scones in Wisconsin: British English vs. American English



As an Anglophile and a teacher of Linguistics, I had to spend talking with my students about the differences between American and British English.  The Project Britain website provides wonderful resources on lexical differences between British and American language and culture.  I used their fill-in-the-blanks worksheet as a small group activity while we all enjoyed some tea and biscuits.  Then each group got a hand-out related to either food, people, places, clothing, or school and hand to come up with a sentence using as many British English words as possible.  

An example sentence students wrote and then "translated" for us is:  "My mate met a lollypop man and the lad turned out to be a nutter and wouldn't let my chum cross the lane even after a bobby came by."

http://www.projectbritain.com/activities.html


No comments:

Post a Comment