Monday, January 9, 2017

AP Linguistics!

Richard Larson at Stony Brook University is leading the effort to establish Advanced Placement Linguistics as a high school course. The AP Linguistics committee met for the first time at the Linguistic Society of America conference in Austin on Jan. 7, 2017.

The process to create the course includes compiling a sampling of syllabi from LING 101 courses from around the country, writing curriculum and an AP exam, getting 250 high schools to commit to offering AP Linguistics at their high schools, and training teachers. The process will take 5-7 years.

Because of its interdisciplinary nature, potential AP Linguistics teachers will come from a variety of subjects: English, World Language, ESL, Social Studies, Science, Math.


If you are or know a teacher or administrator who wants to offer AP Linguistics at your school, post below!



To read more, visit Gretchen McCullough's blog: 
http://allthingslinguistic.com/post/151443955434/ap-linguistics-course-planning-begins

8 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm an advanced math teacher at a small boarding school out east. My school has just begun offering linguistics at the elective level. I'm teaching it as a one semester course this year. We would be very interested in expanding our linguistics offerings in the future and would be happy to share resources or be a part of making AP Linguistics happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Andrew! Would you mind entering your contact info here: http://tinyurl.com/APLinguistics? We're working on creating a database of interested teachers and would love to hear your ideas!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I'm an English teacher at a homeschooling co-op in the Midwest. Next year I will be teaching a yearlong English elective on linguistics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Allyson! We have two groups on Facebook that you may want to consider joining - one is called "AP Linguistics" and the other is "High School Teachers Incorporating Linguistics."

      Delete
    2. Also, out of curiosity, where are you in the Midwest? I'm in Milwaukee.

      Delete
  4. This is incredible news. I teach English (including AP Lang), but my background is in Linguistics, and I would love to teach an AP Ling class! I'll search for the FB groups you mentioned. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to offer AP Linguistics at my high school. How can I find out more?

    ReplyDelete